Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Halloween Altered Container


Hello and Welcome to my tutorial on an altered project, a Halloween Candy Container. I thought this Container turned out very nice, I hope you do to. This one is a long one so hold on for the ride. I know some of you know how to do this but even so, it is always fun to see how other people would do the creating. I took lots of pictures of the steps just to ensure that we don't miss anything. Let's get started:

I used an empty Raw Almond Container, it really does not matter what kind of a container you use, the size is up to you depending on how much treats you want the container to hold. I did not remove the label, I just covered it up.

I try and lay out all my supplies I think I will use when I start a project, sometimes I don't use every item I lay out and sometimes I find I need to go get something else, I think I was close here. I wanted to show you the stamp set I used. I purchased this set at Michael's just this season.

The papers I used: The orange paper is the bottom layer, I wanted to cover the label so I measured how wide that was and made this a tad bit wider than that. You do not want to make it too wide otherwise you will start running into the curve of the container and then your label will not lay flat. So the orange paper, then the black paper, I edged punched both the top and the bottom of the paper with Martha Stewart's edge paper, the pattern is the stars.

Now I added a patterned paper, I like this one here and I also punched the edges again with the star punch.

I am now going to add my stamped images to the container band, I used black ink and used the sharpie to refine some of the stamped images.

I first used a color pencil to color in my images and then notice I now inked them up. I used a make-up sponge wedge and used black ink around all the sides and then randomly added orange and green ink to give it some more color.

I added a ribbon across the band and glued on my images and four buttons of green, orange and black. You can now glue this on your container. Do several inch sections at a time only gluing that section for now, hold a short while to let the glue dry, making sure that it is flat and then continue until the band is all around your container, be sure to adjust label if necessary so your label (if you left one on) is covered and you have no bubbles. Don't be in a hurry now, this is very important.

Starting on the tag; Stamp the image, I inked it up like I did the other images above.

Now I am going to glue the tag onto the orange card stock and cut the orange card stock into the shape of the tag, then use a hole punch to make one hole for the ribbon.

Here is the ribbon I used, it was just what I had on hand, I also used one half of a black pipe cleaner to give it more texture and dimension.

The tag is done. Now just tie it onto the container.

Buy candy and add to your container and you're ready to either give as a gift or you to enjoy yourself!


Thank you for viewing my first tutorial, forgive my shadowed pictures, I hope to do more in the future. If there is anything you would like to see, please comment and we will see what we can come up with here at Midnight Madness. Sincerely Jane, "The Paper Affair"

**Update:  I just got news that this tutorial made cardoftheweek at cardoftheweek.com,  great news ****

   

18 comments:

  1. Whoo hoo Jane....great job with the tutorial and what a cute idea too! Look foward to seeing more of your tutorials!! :)
    Hugs,
    Charlotte
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! You did such a wonderful job on it. I think it is just such a super idea for any of the holidays to use those containers like that. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration. I will be definately trying this out.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes!!!! Wowie, I love it, I have AT LEAST 5 Nescafe Clasico jars just waiting for me to alter them, I think this adorable creation is the push I needed to start the projects!! Thanks for sharing it with us, and by the way, your project looks fantastic, as well as the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, thorough instructions. I love it - I look forward to more. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, this so great! I keep saving containers, but have never done anything with them. I'm so inspired to try something like this because you have so many great ideas and you've made it look so easy. I'm off to dig out those containers and put them where they will remind me to make something with them! :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this fabulous tutorial!
    I loved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tutorial Jane! Wow very nice Halloween container!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Jane, what an absolutely gorgeous jar and great tutorial. will have a go at making some of these for christmas! hugs Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again for the inspiration, Jane. I posted my project on my blog today. What a fun idea, and I know that I will be doing more of these.

    here's my project

    in case you want to have a look :)

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. great tutorial! I forgot how much fun it was to "go green" and reuse stuff like this! Thanks for jogging my memory! I will have to give this a go! I love how yours looks! Super cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carolyn, Love your Halloween Altered tin, thanks for giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your tutorial making it as card of the week....love the project and all the pictures!!! Can't wait to see what you create next.

    Hugs,
    ~Terry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this, its so cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. totally awesome :-)! i love the colors.
    Thank you for joining my blog candy

    have a great weekend
    hugs
    claudia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your project is just wonderful! I have a very hard time doing tutorials (only did one) and really salute you for making one. The altered jar is super cute! I'm really tempted to make one maybe for Christmas. The images are just so cute and I wish we celebrated Halloween here as much as you.
    I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog during the Belles N Whistles blog hop! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot to say Congratulations on being featured on card of the week! This is really a wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This is awesome! You really put so much detail into this! Love the tag for this. You gave me inspiration to really decorate my next jars! Thanks for sharing! Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I love hearing from you!

My Paper Creations